Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The Lectern Speaks by Clarence Featherson


"Laugh and Grow Strong."

St. Ignatius of Loyola

Once upon a time when I was a beginning Toastmaster I was a very passionate but extremely serious (and stationary) speaker. One night I was given feedback by two very experienced Toastmasters that completely changed my speaking style and helped me become a more effective speaker.

I was told to put humor in my speeches and give only humorous speeches for several months. I did as suggested and the proof is in the pudding! Today I wouldn't dream of doing a presentation or training (at work, for TM or anywhere) without using humor.

I have used it at a memorial service for a close family member. Because I always use humor in my presentations (including table topics and evaluations) I'm often asked if humor is necessary in a speech.

My answer is always:

"No, it's not.....UNLESS you want to keep your audience interested, awake, engaged and focused on your message."

Audiences have a very short attention span. Humor helps keep people interested for several reasons (emotional and physical). Humor reduces tension, which is extremely important when dealing with conflict, very serious issues, very technical issues or children.

Humor helps people relax and have fun, makes them more open (think open fist versus closed fist) and receptive to information you're sharing. Humor makes people more likely to remember your message or to quote James C. Humes:

"What entertains endures."

It also helps people retain your message better because when people laugh they consume more oxygen and some of that oxygen makes its way to the brain and revives some of the brain cells the humorless speaker before you put to sleep (yeah for you)!

Humor also makes the speaker (particularly in job interviews and work settings) more likable (and for single people who are interested in making good impressions on dates.....it makes you more interesting, attractive AND super sexy).

Many people tell me they can't include humor in their speeches because they are not funny and can't tell jokes.

One super important point I always tell people is-humor does not have to include jokes or stand up comedy or a deliberate effort at being physical. Humor is anything that is amusing or information presented with a different twist (or facial expression, body language, exaggerated pause) or perspective.

You don't have to be funny to use humor. You just have to be willing to not take yourself too seriously and practice it every chance you get.....until you get better and you will (based on feedback from others). Using humor makes your speech more fun for you and your audience (and most people want to have fun).

Another question I hear Toastmasters ask frequently is, "Do I have to have humor in my International Speech?"

The answer is:

"No you don't.....UNLESS you want to win!"

All winning International speeches have humor in them (watch the winning speeches from the Toastmasters World Championship of Public Speaking if you don't believe me).

My challenge to you is to use as much humor as possible in your speeches (all types), evaluations, table topics, job interviews, passionate discussions with spouses, children, family or friends for two months (or longer).

You be the judge of the results. If humor doesn't help you connect better with your audience I'll give you not only a complete refund but I'll give you double your money back (that's supposed to be an example of humor)!

No comments:

Post a Comment